Noisy primary chain - Harley Davidson Roadster Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Noisy primary chain

So I have been getting more annoyed with.my primary chain noise. My contact at my local Harley dealer said it's normal. Most people say just out louder pipes on it, is that really the only solution?
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmadren View Post
So I have been getting more annoyed with.my primary chain noise. My contact at my local Harley dealer said it's normal. Most people say just out louder pipes on it, is that really the only solution?
Do you have a video clip of it? If so, can you stick up a youtube link? I'm chasing noise on mine too.

'16 Roadster, Stage 4 kit, V&H comp 2 into 1, PowerVision tune, SE Heavy Breather, Biltwell Moto bars, Daymaker headlight & Custom Dynamics signals. Biltwell mushman pegs, Edward Ritchie sissy bar. Bung King highway peg crash bar. Saddlemen Explorer 2 up seat. Lucky Dave's Sportster seat. LA Fairing Co El Diablo fairing.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

Will do. My gopro gets here Wednesday so I will try to capture it.
What are your conditions for the noise? My matches the rev and goes away with clutch engaged. I can hear it with a full face helmet.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 11:09 PM

Garage
It's my understanding that although the stock exhaust really isn't quiet that it is very normal for the 1200 engine to sound like a heavy duty sewing machine. I was amazed at the difference once I added Vance and Hines pipes. Now I actually hear the exhaust over the engine noise. I would just check your oil level make sure it's not too low or even worse too high. Other than that, just relax man, and enjoy sitting on your blender filled with marbles.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." Ronald Reagan
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmadren View Post
Will do. My gopro gets here Wednesday so I will try to capture it.
What are your conditions for the noise? My matches the rev and goes away with clutch engaged. I can hear it with a full face helmet.
Mine is steady, supposedly cam noise. Yours definitely sounds like primary. Which reminds me, I need to adjust mine.

'16 Roadster, Stage 4 kit, V&H comp 2 into 1, PowerVision tune, SE Heavy Breather, Biltwell Moto bars, Daymaker headlight & Custom Dynamics signals. Biltwell mushman pegs, Edward Ritchie sissy bar. Bung King highway peg crash bar. Saddlemen Explorer 2 up seat. Lucky Dave's Sportster seat. LA Fairing Co El Diablo fairing.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARoaddog View Post
It's my understanding that although the stock exhaust really isn't quiet that it is very normal for the 1200 engine to sound like a heavy duty sewing machine. I was amazed at the difference once I added Vance and Hines pipes. Now I actually hear the exhaust over the engine noise. I would just check your oil level make sure it's not too low or even worse too high. Other than that, just relax man, and enjoy sitting on your blender filled with marbles.
Hey at least when you hear one down the street without even looking you already know what it is. Love having that happen on city streets
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 08:27 AM

Garage
There is no mistaking the sound of a Harley, and with that said I have never heard another bike brand match the sound. The only exception to that is the v-rod sounds a lot like a Victory. Which is why I stopped looking at v-rods lol.
HDRider likes this.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." Ronald Reagan
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 12:41 PM

The next step is for some exhaust maker to come out with an exhaust system that adds a unique sound. Might be a task for Yamaha. They do well with sound engineering on musical instruments, and of course the Lexus LFA. Bikes are untapped when it comes to this stuff.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 12:12 PM

I doubt they'll develop anything anywhere close to a system like that for motorcycles lol. The LFA itself is a musical instrument haha
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReconTopher View Post
Mine is steady, supposedly cam noise. Yours definitely sounds like primary. Which reminds me, I need to adjust mine.
Did you ever find a solution for this? Or at least what is causing it?

No thanks to you, I am getting so close to plunking down the $2k.

2016 Roadster Vivid Black - SE air cleaner / FP-3 / V&H Twin Slash slip-ons w/quiet baffles. NRHS 1250 kit w/ Hurricane Cat 3 cams. Daymaker headlight and Custom Dynamics turn signals.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Roadster Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page