Changing front fork oil & Ohlins forks - Harley Davidson Roadster Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-22-2020, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

Changing front fork oil & Ohlins forks

Two questions. First, has anyone changed their front fork oil on the upside down forks? I looked for a drain plug/screw and nothing? Years ago when I turned a wrench in a shop there was a plug at the bottom of the fork leg. Now? If there is no drain plug is it possible to drill & tap for a plug?

Second, has anyone totally replaced the forks with a Öhlins unit?

Winter time projects can now start in the living room. She sleeps inside of the house when it gets cold.

Maxwell
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-27-2020, 09:38 AM

Are you asking about a complete new ohlins fork or just new cartridge?

Because I'm looking for a cartridge but I'm not sure which one will match with our fork (NIX 30?). Our fork looks really similar to the low rider S one, but I'm not 100% sure.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

sntpz, thank you for answering. I will be more than happy to just get the cartridges at this point. Really want to upgrade to Ohlins. I know, trying to get 571 pounds to be a track star is not what a sane person would do. Ego, ok.

I am surprised that how little support there is for the Roadster from aftermarket vendors. Let me give you a few examples. First, e-mailed Bassani about their Rage III fitting a Roadster with Harley rear sets. Nothing. E-mailed getlowered.com, nothing. With getlowered I even included three photos so I could get their expert opinion on fit with the Harley rearsets.

The front brakes. Want to upgrade them to Brembo or Performance Machine. PM got back to me stating that by Spring they will get a Roadster in to ‘fit’ a dual system to. Brembo, e-mailed freespirits.it & Brocksperformance.com tonight for a full front brake system. Nothing yet.

As for Harley, not much from them but chrome.

Oh, forgot, would love to put a pair of Gaffer rotors on too

Last edited by Maxwell#256; Yesterday at 10:39 PM. Reason: Forget gaffler rotors part

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Today, 03:25 AM

completely agree with you. I can't understand why this model is so 'rare' if at the end is just and sportster with few mods...

I purchased a detachable sissy bar a year ago and I had to return it because our rear frame is thinner than the normal sportster (no chasis covers) and there are no many options on the market.

I'm going to customize my roaster into a light performance cruiser during the winter (FXRT fairing, brembo m4 calipers, brembo rc19 master cylinder, ohlins/legend/andreani full suspension upgrade, etc..). For summer I will keep the performance parts but will come back to the stock cafe racer look (with rear controls).

I will share here everything in order to help other people to find fitting parts and info.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Roadster Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page