Harley Davidson Not Doing So Well - Harley Davidson Roadster Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Harley Davidson Not Doing So Well

With the new Roadster coming out, I thought Harley Davidson would see increasing sales, but it seems to be the opposite. They're laying off around 225 salaried employees by the end of this year and that's around 5% of the company's workforce. With less workers, production could slow down and people may need to wait longer for their motorcycles.

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 11:41 AM

It's not just Harley that's on a downturn these days, other brands, ATVs, and snowmobiles aren't doing so well lately.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyQuinn View Post
With the new Roadster coming out, I thought Harley Davidson would see increasing sales, but it seems to be the opposite. They're laying off around 225 salaried employees by the end of this year and that's around 5% of the company's workforce. With less workers, production could slow down and people may need to wait longer for their motorcycles.

They'll be alright. I dont think anyone will have to wait longer when there is an inventory build up from lack of demand. Per your post it says that sales are down but market share is up. So they are still growing market share.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 05:00 PM

Interesting watch on the economy and its effects on HD.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Nor really economy, just more so the aging targeted demographic of the brand. They need to figure out how to appeal to younger riders.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 12:18 PM

Wouldn't hurt to ask dealers to host a few events now and again for current ant future Harley riders. Was reading a article about Rajasthan's first Harley Rock Riders Event and there seems to be plenty of people there from the younger demographic.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDCruizin View Post
Wouldn't hurt to ask dealers to host a few events now and again for current ant future Harley riders. Was reading a article about Rajasthan's first Harley Rock Riders Event and there seems to be plenty of people there from the younger demographic.
Our local dealer network, seems to have an event happening at least at one dealer per weekend. If one dealer isn't having an event, another one is.

It does seem like like most of the events are directed more towards the "traditional" Harley owner, rather than the younger demographic.

I'm not sure what the stats are but I'd imagine the "traditional" crowd is still buying the big dollar bikes, whereas the younger crowd is probably looking at the Sportsters, Streets and occasional Dyna CVO. I could be totally wrong on this, but thats my $0.02.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyQuinn View Post
Nor really economy, just more so the aging targeted demographic of the brand. They need to figure out how to appeal to younger riders.
that what I was thinking and what helps too is that these days its easier to get a loan, even for those that shouldn't qualify.

also when you look at all these motorcycle ads targeted towards younger crowds it all starts to add up, younger demo's aren't into it as much as the older ones.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2020, 09:22 AM

Now the crisis is in fact a lot of places...
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 10:44 PM

This has been talked about the past couple of years.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Roadster Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page