post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

HD Roadster Vs. The World

Okay maybe not the world... but Motorcycle.com posted a shoot out between:

Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle
Harley Davidson Roadster
Moto Guzzi V9 Roamer
Triumph Bonneville T120
Yamaha XSR900

I would seriously try to condense all of this information for us here but wow, it's quite a bit lol. Link below, check it out !!

Heritage Lifestyle Characters Compete On Cool Factor
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 01:47 PM

The comments are always funny to read on the articles...

I'd still pick the Roadster. All of them are hideous to me, except for the Triumph which still retains the classic look. Nice to see another HP number on the Roadster and that it performed better than the rest in both categories.

'16 Roadster, Stage 4 kit, V&H comp 2 into 1, PowerVision tune, SE Heavy Breather, Biltwell Moto bars, Daymaker headlight & Custom Dynamics signals. Biltwell mushman pegs, Edward Ritchie sissy bar. Bung King highway peg crash bar. Saddlemen Explorer 2 up seat. Lucky Dave's Sportster seat. LA Fairing Co El Diablo fairing.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Lol there were definitely a few lines in there that made me chuckle

Quote:
“The Roadster makes me want to drink beer, kick ass, and chase girls. Not bad qualities at all,” says Tom. And this is all before you even ride it.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 11:22 AM

Roadster is just the overall better choice. Sure the Yamaha has the most horsepower, but the Roadster still beat it until the engine cuts off. And the Ducati scrambler is more of a statement piece to me. If you take a peek into its forum, you'll find so many reported problems.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Time for some recon missions.... But the Roadster technically was already peaked out anyhow so it wouldn't have lasted long even if it had more revs to go.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 02:27 PM

Garage
I think that an honest to God comparison for the Roadster is the Triumph Street Twin (in terms of style & power to weight). I have yet to see a comparison of these two, yet.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 12:39 PM

Could be the price difference stopping them from being compared. The Street Twin carries an MSRP of $8,700 and the Roadster Starts at $12,999.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 02:12 AM

I looked seriously at the T-120 before settling on the Roadster. The nicest thing about it is the maintenance in comparison to any of the bikes in the test. The Harley, simply is easier to work on and there is less to do. CHeck out what valve jobs will run on any of these, then realize, you don't need to crack a bolt on the Harley motor for probably around 100,000 miles.

People don't seem to factor that into the equation when they are looking at the bikes. Add to that the fact that the Harley pretty much matches up to the bonnie performance wise. Heck, I have a hard time getting into 5th gear anywhere except the highway, and by then, I am pushing the legal limit anyways.

DO I still like the Bonnies? Sure do, they look the bomb and they are stellar performers. But, they are not Harleys. I would love to have one in the garage, but not without having a Harley as well. Why? Well, I guess it all comes down to this. I have always wanted a Harley. I have always had a Harley for almost 19 years. I will continue to have a Harley for as long as is humanly possible. While the Bonnie is cool, it doesn't do that for me.

Of course, if I was living in England, like I was in the 80s, I would definitely give the Triumph another look. More parts availability, and more people who know how to work on them, especially dialing in those valves. Horses for courses, either bike is great. I am glad I am on the Roadster though. I would be riding it right this minute, but ugh, rain again.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 07:43 PM

I think the roadster is the win just because of its versatility AND performance. If you've ridden sportsters before, you already know the sportster's power and performance potential.

Its versatility however, is what I believe distinguishes the sportster. You can essentially transform it into whatever you want it to be, and still have the expected performance! Make it cafe, make it off road, or make it club style, whatever you want, it will still perform. And thats the difference that the Roadster will provide! I'm happy with mine!

2017 Silver Roadster
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Roadster Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page